Tuesday, June 9, 2009

FYI America is a continent

Immersing yourself in a different culture allows you for the opportunity to learn that there are alternative ways of doing the same things you do. On the other hand it is also an opportunity to get ticked off.
I need to clarify that I've only been in this country for 7 years and that I take full responsibility for my choice and I will apply for citizenship because the good things (notice I said said good things, not benefits) outweigh the bad and by a fairly large number.
Having said that, and of course now you know I'm going to complain, it ticks me off to hear Americans this, Americans that all the time. Last time I looked America was a continent with 35 countries.
Are they not aware that they are brushing off 34 countries or it the gap of superiority is so large that the other countries are not worth considering. Or maybe they think it's just a matter of time for the rest of the continent to become an USA territory...
In airport lounges, in touristic destinations you can find French, Russians, Koreans, Guatemalans, Kenians, etc, but never will you hear 'I'm African', 'I'm Asian'.
I guess coming from another country from this continent I feel disenfranchised, deprived of my right to my little piece of America.
If they are the Americans, what am I supposed to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment